Ann began her classical ballet training in 1988 at the Lelia Haller Ballet School and her modern dance training in 1999 at the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts. She has pursued her dance studies across the US and abroad at institutions including the Ailey School, BalletMet, New Dialect, The Ohio State University, María del Puerto Escuela de Danza, Tulane University, and the Schramel Conservatory, and with master artists such as Deborah Hay, Joy Davis, Donald Williams, Jesse Zaritt, Riley Watts, and Angelle Hebert. Recent concert performance credits include productions by the Monocle Ensemble (Aurora Nealand solo music, Shannon Stewart choreography), FLOCK, Narcisse|Movement Project, Lightwire Theater, New Orleans Ballet Theatre, New Orleans Opera Association, and Short North Stage. Recent clients for commercial work (both choreographed and improvised performance) include Hulu, Hannibal Buress, Southwest Airlines, and the Mystic Krewe of Hermes. She is a featured dancer in Le Pain, a dance film directed by Meryl Murman and an official selection of the 2015 St. Tropez International Film Festival and the 2015 East End Film Festival in London.
In June 2013, Ann initiated an ongoing collaborative music-and-dance project called Known Mass, aesthetically motivated by devised theatre and DIY punk traditions. Other contributions to the New Orleans dance community have included a writing and analysis project, NOLA Dance Reader, and Dance in NOLA, an online catalog of weekly classes, auditions, workshops, and other resources for local adult dancers that Ann maintained from June 2013-April 2015. A student of Karl Rogers and Eric Nordstrom, Ann established Contact Improv New Orleans online and continues to teach contact improv fundamentals to people of all ages. She facilitated the Known Mass Vector Series of master classes for adult professionals in New Orleans and served as site editor for the New Orleans Dance Network in its inaugural year.
Upcoming projects (performance & choreography)
- Known Mass performance and master class at COAST DANCEfest (performed work TBA) in Ocean Springs, MS. March 30, 2019.
- Known Mass No. 3, “St. Maurice.” Director, performer. Full production coming in 2019 thanks to grant funding from the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation.
- “Simple Me,” music video for Maggie Belle Band. Featured dancer, improvisation for camera, release date TBA.
Past productions (as director/choreographer)
- Solo (untitled/an animal dance), directed, choreographed, and performed by Ann Glaviano. First showing at Siberia Lounge, December 2, 2018, alongside works by Rhia Jade & Claire Kohne, Aurora Nealand, and Screaming Traps (Shannon Stewart with Ellery Burton and Sierrah Dietz).
- The First. Choreographer. S1E5, directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven. The First is an American drama web television series created by Beau Willimon and starring Sean Penn and Natascha McElhone. Season 1 aired September 14, 2018.
- Known Mass, “Secret Beach,” in collaboration with visual artist Catherine Nelson for her exhibit A TUSSLE WITH THE GENIUS LOCI, opening at Art Egg June 1, 2018. Performance ongoing from 7-8pm, co-choreographed by Rebecca Allen, Dewuan Frances, Ann Glaviano, directed by Ann Glaviano.
- Known Mass at Bach Around the Clock: Improv in performance with local musicians Mike Wilkinson (Marker), Andy Gibbs (Thou), and Melissa Guion (MJ Guider) and local dancers Rebecca Allen, Katya Chizayeva, Ann Glaviano, Dewuan Magee, and Shannon Stewart. Directed by Ann Glaviano. March 23, 2018, at 10:22pm at Trinity Episcopal Church.
- Known Mass No. 3: “St. Maurice.” In residency at Art Klub November 2017-February 2018 as part of Prospect.4, “The Aesthetics of Garbage,” curated by Meryl Murman. Work-in-progress showing February 17, 2018, 2pm and 8pm, at Art Klub.
- Salon at Sidearm Gallery (St. Roch). Duet with Scotty Heron (dance, piano, voice). January 26, 2018.
- Be/With. Eight dancers and eight musicians in improvisation / collaboration. Curated by Shannon Stewart. Contemporary Arts Center New Orleans, January 4, 2018.
- Known Mass at the Fall Dance Festival, Ocean Springs, MS. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Maria Browne Widmer. The Mary C., October 1, 2016.
- Known Mass No. 2: Out Music in Contact w/ Silo Homes. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Matt Carney. Art Klub, July 2, 2016.
- Known Mass No. 2: Out Music in Contact w/ Jasper den Hartigh. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Jasper den Hartigh. Art Klub, June 8, 2016.
- The Bakkhai. Choreographer/Lead Chorus. Workshop production of Euripides’ The Bakkhai (translation/direction by Elizabeth Gross and Ned Moore, music by Tucker Fuller). Four-week residency at the Marigny Opera House with performances June 12-13, 2015.
- Director/Performer. Known Mass No. 1. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Jasper den Hartigh. Marigny Opera House, June 20-21, 2015.
- Director/Performer. Known Mass preview. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Jasper den Hartigh and Matt Carney. DaMata Acupuncture, May 17, 2015.
- Gambit “40 under 40” (November 5, 2018)
- “[A]ctors Evan Spigelman and Jesse LaVercombe perform their lines alongside a vivacious chorus, whose dancing, orations, and ferocious energy carries The Bakkhai forward. Chorus leader and dance facilitator Ann Glaviano’s original choreography reflects the anarchic themes of the play.” –NolaVie, “An Interdisciplinary Production of Euripides’ The Bakkhai” by Joe Shriner (6/12/15)
- “The live music performed by the strolling players Alec Barnes, Ann Glaviano and Joshua Smith is a pleasing component of the evening.” — Times-Picayune, “NOLA Project’s ‘Don Quixote’ Welcomes Spring with a Refreshing Burst of Loving Laughter” by Theodore P. Mahne (2/10/16)
- Known Mass No. 3, “St. Maurice” (direction / co-choreography and performance by Ann Glaviano)
- Known Mass at Bach Around the Clock (direction / co-choreography and performance by Ann Glaviano)
- KindHumanKind, The Monocle Project at Airlift Music Box (Aurora Nealand / Shannon Stewart collaboration, performance by Ann Glaviano): “Whistleblower” at Airlift Music Box, concert trailer at Marigny Opera House
- The Bakkhai (choreography and performance by Ann Glaviano)
- “the many” (Narcisse|Movement Project, performance by Ann Glaviano)