Ann began her classical ballet training in 1988 at the Lelia Haller Ballet School and her modern dance training in 1999 at the Louisiana School for Math, Science, and the Arts. She has pursued her dance studies across the US and abroad at institutions including the Ailey School, BalletMet, New Dialect, The Ohio State University, María del Puerto Escuela de Danza, Tulane University, and the Schramel Conservatory, and with master artists such as Donald Williams, Jesse Zaritt, Deborah Hay, Riley Watts, and Angelle Hebert. Recent concert performance credits include productions by the Monocle Ensemble (Aurora Nealand solo music, Shannon Stewart choreography), FLOCK, Narcisse|Movement Project, Lightwire Theater, New Orleans Ballet Theatre, New Orleans Opera Association, and Short North Stage. Recent clients for commercial work (both choreographed and improvised performance) include Hannibal Buress, Southwest Airlines, and the Mystic Krewe of Hermes. She is a featured dancer in Le Pain, a dance film directed by Meryl Murman and an official selection of the 2015 St. Tropez International Film Festival and the 2015 East End Film Festival in London.
In June 2013, Ann initiated a collaborative music-and-dance project called Known Mass, aesthetically motivated by devised theatre and DIY punk traditions. In June 2014, she directed and performed in her first production, Known Mass No. 1, at the Marigny Opera House. A new performance series, Known Mass No. 2: Out Music in Contact, began in June 2016 at Art Klub and also was featured in the inaugural Fall Dance Festival (2016) at the Mary C. O’Keefe Cultural Center in Ocean Springs, MS. A student of Karl Rogers and Eric Nordstrom, she hosts contact improv jams through Known Mass and facilitates the Vector Series, a morning contemporary class series for advanced/professional dancers.
Other contributions to the New Orleans dance community have included a writing and analysis project, NOLA Dance Reader, and Dance in NOLA, an online catalog of weekly classes, auditions, workshops, and other resources for local adult dancers that Ann maintained from June 2013-April 2015. She served as site editor for the New Orleans Dance Network in its inaugural year.
Upcoming projects (performance & choreography)
- Known Mass No. 2. A new series of improvisation in performance with local musicians. See the Known Mass site for details.
- Ways of Forgetting, a new dance film directed by Meryl Murman, release date TBD
- “Simple Me,” music video for Maggie Belle Band. Featured dancer, improvisation for camera, release date TBA.
Past productions (as director/choreographer)
- Known Mass at Bach Around the Clock: Improv in performance with local musicians Mike Wilkinson (Marker), Andy Gibbs (Thou), and Melissa Guion (MJ Guider) and local dancers Rebecca Allen, Katya Chizayeva, Ann Glaviano, Dewuan Magee, and Shannon Stewart. Directed by Ann Glaviano. March 23, 2018, at 10:22pm at Trinity Episcopal Church.
- The First (working title). Choreographer. The First is an upcoming American drama web television series created by Beau Willimon and starring Sean Penn and Natascha McElhone. Episode air date TBA.
- Known Mass No. 3: “St. Maurice.” In residency at Art Klub November 2017-February 2018 as part of Prospect.4, “The Aesthetics of Garbage,” curated by Meryl Murman. Work-in-progress showing February 17, 2018, 2pm and 8pm, at Art Klub.
- Salon at Sidearm Gallery (St. Roch). Duet with Scotty Heron (dance, piano, voice). January 26, 2018.
- Be/With. Eight dancers and eight musicians in improvisation / collaboration. Curated by Shannon Stewart. Contemporary Arts Center New Orleans, January 4, 2018.
- Known Mass at the Fall Dance Festival, Ocean Springs, MS. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Maria Browne Widmer. The Mary C., October 1, 2016.
- Known Mass No. 2: Out Music in Contact w/ Silo Homes. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Matt Carney. Art Klub, July 2, 2016.
- Known Mass No. 2: Out Music in Contact w/ Jasper den Hartigh. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Jasper den Hartigh. Art Klub, June 8, 2016.
- The Bakkhai. Choreographer/Lead Chorus. Workshop production of Euripides’ The Bakkhai (translation/direction by Elizabeth Gross and Ned Moore, music by Tucker Fuller). Four-week residency at the Marigny Opera House with performances June 12-13, 2015.
- Director/Performer. Known Mass No. 1. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Jasper den Hartigh. Marigny Opera House, June 20-21, 2015.
- Director/Performer. Known Mass preview. Contact improvisation in performance; music by Jasper den Hartigh and Matt Carney. DaMata Acupuncture, May 17, 2015.
- “[A]ctors Evan Spigelman and Jesse LaVercombe perform their lines alongside a vivacious chorus, whose dancing, orations, and ferocious energy carries The Bakkhai forward. Chorus leader and dance facilitator Ann Glaviano’s original choreography reflects the anarchic themes of the play.” –NolaVie, “An Interdisciplinary Production of Euripides’ The Bakkhai” by Joe Shriner (6/12/15)
- “The live music performed by the strolling players Alec Barnes, Ann Glaviano and Joshua Smith is a pleasing component of the evening.” — Times-Picayune, “NOLA Project’s ‘Don Quixote’ Welcomes Spring with a Refreshing Burst of Loving Laughter” by Theodore P. Mahne (2/10/16)
- Known Mass No. 3, “St. Maurice” (direction / co-choreography and performance by Ann Glaviano)
- The Bakkhai (choreography and performance by Ann Glaviano)
- Known Mass at Bach Around the Clock (direction / co-choreography and performance by Ann Glaviano)
- “the many” (Narcisse|Movement Project, performance by Ann Glaviano)