CORONAVIRUS NOTE: Until the coast is clear and it is safe for us to dance together again, I will be making weekly Spotify playlists of stay-home music for work and pleasure.
HEATWAVE! House Party, Vol. 1 – playlist posted Friday, March 13
HEATWAVE! House Party, Vol. 2 – playlist posted Saturday, March 21 (zoom live set 3/21)
HEATWAVE! House Party, Vol. 3 – playlist posted Sunday, March 29 (zoom live set 3/28)
HEATWAVE! House Party, Vol. 4 – playlist posted Saturday, April 11 (zoom live set 4/11)
HEATWAVE! House Party Dance-Along – The Madison, dance lesson posted Friday, April 3
Tips for the DJ via Paypal or Venmo @ann-glaviano
Ann is the instigator of the HEATWAVE! Dance Party, an all-wax throwback garage psych pop soul funk night, in Columbus (founded September 2011) and New Orleans (founded June 2013). She’s held down the dance floor for New Orleans heavyweights such as Friends of City Park (Lark in the Park), the New Orleans Botanical Garden, the National WWII Museum, WYES-TV, the Ogden Museum of Southern Art, the John Besh Foundation, Arnaud’s, Mignon Faget, United Way of Southeast Louisiana’s Women United, the New Orleans Museum of Art, the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities, New Orleans Ballet Theatre, Press Street, Big Class / 826 New Orleans, the New Orleans Film Festival, the Audubon Zoo, and the Ace Hotel. She has DJ’d throughout the United States, typically thanks to the graciousness and generosity of fellow soul DJs, in Nashville (Keep On Movin’), Louisville (Midnight Hour Soul Club), Denver (Motown Thursdays), Austin (DJ Dangit), Ocean Springs, and Manhattan (Jonathan Toubin’s New York Night Train).
You can find her DJing (no cover!) her pro-consent, anti-asshole dance party in New Orleans on the second Saturday of every month at Twelve Mile Limit in Mid-City, and on the fourth Saturday of every month at Okay Bar in the Ninth Ward, 10pm-2am. One-off bookings will be noted on the Events page (or sign up for a brief newsletter update on upcoming gigs and performances).
I do indeed play private parties, weddings, institutional events, etc. Email me at email@example.com if you’re looking for dance jams from 1957-1974 on vinyl. Yes, that is the very specific time period I’m working within. No, I will not also work from a digital playlist of dance jams from other time periods. Yes, I really mean it (unless it’s the first-dance songs at your wedding). Xo.
University of New Orleans Department of Film, February 2019 – DJ Ann Glaviano by Alyssa Newsham (5-minute documentary)
- “Creative Rounds” interview / podcast episode of A Round with Cole and Steve, hosted by Cole Newton and Steve Yamada (August 20, 2019)
- New Orleans Advocate, March 12, 2019 – “Swing and salsa, oldies and disco: New Orleans’ dance scene is hopping”
- Gambit, November 5, 2018 – Gambit “40 under 40”
- Very Local, June 2018 – “Swamp Selectors: Ann Glaviano of HEATWAVE! Shares her Soul Music Safe Space”
- New Orleans Bride, Winter 2018 – “The Perfect Wedding Day Entertainment”
- A Taste for Things, January 2017 – “Ann Glaviano” (interview)
- Offbeat Magazine, December 2016 – “Best of the Beat Music Awards Nominees”
- ELLE, September 2016 – “Style Across America”
- Columbus Alive!, September 2016 – “Concert preview: Heatwave hits five years of sweaty, soulful parties”
- Tales of the Cocktail In Depth, August 2016 – “7 Ways Bartenders Can Prevent Sexual Harassment and Assault”
- Offbeat Magazine, February 2016 – “Photo Op: Like No One is Touching”
- Thrillist, January 2016 – “The Essential New Orleans Bars Every Visitor Should Check Out”
- Columbus Alive!, September 2015 – “Things We Love”
- NolaVie, March 2015 – “Artists in their Own Words”
- (614) Magazine, August 2012 – “Shake, Rattle, & Soul”
- Columbus Dispatch, March 2012 – “Nostalgic Nights”
- Columbus Alive!, May 2012 – “Staff Pick: HEATWAVE Prom”
- Bustown Music, January 2012 – “HEATWAVE”